HFTH is one of the partners of the Reconciliation Ministries programs for orphaned children in Sorti, Uganda for the past 5 years. We have provided financial support for the feeding program to ensure that children without parents, that would be homeless were it not for the work of Dr. Ebangit, have nutritious meals. Research has proven the horrible affect that hunger has on children.
“The fact is that there is enough food in the world for everyone. But tragically, much of the world’s food and land resources are tied up in producing beef and other livestock–food for the well off–while millions of children and adults suffer from malnutrition and starvation.” — Dr.Walden Bello
Hunger can cause children to have poor congnitve skills and affects their ability to perform well in school. Making sure that these children maintain a healthy diet has decreased illness caused by poor diet and scarcity and increases each students ability to be physically healthy and educationally sound.
FACTS ABOUT THE SCHOOOL
- 174 active students from kindergarten to 7th Grade
- 10 teachers
- 5 support staff
- Accredited as a private school
- Students are required to take a national test once a year where 90% of students excel
- Students come from a very poor community
- Limited transportation is available to the students; most students walk up to four miles to school every day
- Most of the students live in one room huts with their family
- The only time students receive nutritional food is at school
- Parents cannot afford doctor visits when a child is ill they have to travel a great distance to go to the hospital
- 1 permanent structure that has 14 classrooms
- They are in the second building phase, which is a dormitory